Friday, September 4, 2009

Recipe: Whole Wheat Spinach Tortillas

I love wrap bread - and I really like the kind that is whole wheat with spinach and Omega-3's.

That stuff is expensive.

So, I decided to make my own.

I made them with spinach.  Other ideas would be jalepeno, sundried tomato, garlic herb, basil, roasted red pepper, or whatever you can dream up. If you use other add-ins instead of spinach, you'll probably need more water.  I got 1/2 c of spinach and 1/2 c of fluid drained from the spinach.

I used my pasta machine to roll them out (I love finding new things to do with my pasta machine!), but you could roll them by hand.  It wouldn't be as much fun though.  The kids love to help roll things in the pasta machine.

I plan on keeping them in the fridge, and I will also try freezing some, and I will let you know how they keep.

Warning - these took a while to make!  Probably an hour or so.

Whole Wheat Spinach Tortillas
(About 30 small tortillas)

2 Tbsp ground flax seed
1 10 oz package spinach (thawed, not drained)
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp oil
1/4 c water
2 c all purpose flour
2 c wheat flour

 In a blender or mini-food processor puree oil, flax seed, salt and spinach together (this may take a while). Pulse in flour, 1 c at a time. Drizzle in water until the mixture forms a dough, but stop before it gets sticky.  Divide dough into balls roughly smaller than a ping pong ball. (I got 30 from this recipe) Cover with a towel while rolling out. 

Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand (one at a time).  In a pasta machine, roll each ball out until very thin.  Start on the thickest setting and roll progressively thinner.  I got up to setting 6 on my pasta machine.  If you go too thin and it rips, just squish it into a ball again.  If you want to, you can cut the dough into rectangles or circles or other desired shape before cooking.  I went rustic and went with the shapes formed naturally.

(You could also roll them with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface).

Cook tortillas on a ungreased pan on medium heat (I used my electric skillet at 300 F) for a minute or so on each side.  Small bubbles will form and they will brown slightly.  When finished cooking, transfer to a large plastic baggie and seal to keep steam in.  This will keep them soft.  Store in refrigerator.




 Balls of tortilla dough










About to go through the pasta machine.













See how thin it is?












Cooking, ready to flip.











Hot and steamy, nice and soft.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I live with just my husband, and I was wondering if its possible to make those all the way up to the ball shape then freeze them and use them later? Would the dough be properly reusable say a couple weeks later?
    Cheers
    Melody

    ReplyDelete